boondoggle: noun; a project or scheme that wastes time or money beandoggle: noun; a project that wastes Bean's time

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

TMI

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “Who you are speaks so loudly I can’t hear what you’re saying.” This prolific thinker was able to concisely convey the importance of aligning one’s actions with one’s verbal expressions. It’s a shame that his seemingly timeless wisdom has been buried by the ceaseless deluge of tweets, texts, and status updates.

Along with providing a platform to remain connected with old friends and distant relatives, the information age and accompanying social media movement has essentially obliterated society’s internal dialogue. No longer is it socially unacceptable to explain, in graphic detail, the bowel movements of a potty training toddler or pretend to be an ESPN commentator while giving birth. The false sense of security people gain by entering into these one-sided conversations with the world produces some of the ugliest statements.

I’m not asking for everyone to be profound in each tweet or status update; I’m simply calling for discretion and the re-emergence of an internal dialogue. Below is my feeble attempt to modernize ol’ Ralphie’s thoughts for the millennial in all of us…

“Your stream-of-consciousness tweeting clogs my inbox and makes me question why I friended you in the first place.”

1 comment: